Friday, December 11, 2020

Importance of a Home Office

 In his book, On Writing, Stephen King said he once wrote in a laundry room with his typewriter on his knees.  

So how's your writing space? How large is it? Do you have a desk? Comfy chair?  Since we moved a few years ago my writing space isn't what it used to be. I think we all have our quirks of how and where we like to write. Aside from the basic tools of desk, computer, chair, pens, paper, etc., there are things I need to feel comfortable to write

I need my back to the wall. Weird quirk? Maybe but it's what I need to zone out. So I position the desk so I have a wall behind me. Not always easy depending on the layout of the room. 


I need Poe. See that little guy there under the lamp? That's my Edgar Allan Poe action figure. He inspires. 

A nice lamp. This one is pretty and the light it casts is soft. After staring at either the computer screen or that stark white page, a soft light is a blessing. 

What next? Coffee? Usually. Wine? Occasionally. 

Most important thing in your writing space we learn from Stephen King again.  He sat in that laundry room because it had a door. 

Go into your space, shut the door and write. 


No comments:

Last Day of NANOWRIMO --- Oh No!

 Where did the month go?  Certainly not on the page. I have an outline, some character sketches but mostly I have a lot of research notes.  ...