Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Kindle Tips?

In formatting a book from word for the kindle the information out there seems confusing. Different websites seem to say different things. I think the writing is easy compared to all this detail stuff. Anyone know of a good website that's easy to understand about formatting for Kindle? Did you format and upload your own book or pay someone? One good thing about going the traditional publishing route is that someone else does all this grunt work for you. After watching more and more new and established authors go Indy I wonder how the publishing houses feel? I once went to a conference where they had this machine that would print on demand. Put the instructions in one end and a fully binded book pops out the other end. They hoped to sell this machine to schools, stores and anyone who wanted an instant book. This was supposed to be the new thing in publishing. this was a few years before Kindle hit the market.
Now that Amazon and all the Indy epub opportunities are here I wonder what the future of traditional publishing will bring.

2 comments:

Charles Gramlich said...

The only real hard part of formatting an MS word manuscript for Kindle and nook is the clickable table of contents. Amazon has an ebook out called "Publish on Amazon Kindle." I reviewed it on goodreads here. http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/8153518-publish-on-amazon-kindle-with-the-digital-text-platform

It gives you most of the info you need.

Aimlesswriter said...

Thanks, I'll check that out. I'm so nervous about screwing this up!

Last Day of NANOWRIMO --- Oh No!

 Where did the month go?  Certainly not on the page. I have an outline, some character sketches but mostly I have a lot of research notes.  ...