Friday, December 26, 2008

Got Crayons?



Does the medium control the artist or does the artist control the medium? Whether painting, writing, or preforming (singing, insturmental, acting), would your talent extend to other venues? Could the concert violynist master the piano at will?
Or if you're an excellent artist with pencil is it that much of a leap to move to paint?
To relate this to writing how many writers switch genres at will? Is it really such a stretch to believe a romance writer can write a thriller? One of my stories is a thriller but with romantic elements. I didn't do this on purpose it just came out that way. I think in real life those "romantic elements" can come at us at any time, no matter what we're going through. So doesn't that stand to realize the same would be true in any kind of fiction? I think the degree that we inject it into our story is in our control. A thriller still needs the main focus to be whatever is pushing your plot but a bit of romance or an other element that would normally happen in real life could give your story more life.
Just a thought. Am I making any sense here?
The above picture makes me wonder about these things. This picture was done in a medium I never would have attempted. If you go to his website you can see more of these amazing pictures done entirely with Crayola Crayons.
And you thought they were just for kids...
:)

2 comments:

Spy Scribbler said...

Wow, that is just amazing! I love Katie's Garden best.

I wonder about your question. I have difficulty moving out of my genre, only because my brain hasn't found another genre it wants to spend hours imagining in. Could I? Probably. I don't know. I feel like I could manually put together any story. I'm just not convinced it will have any spark.

I do feel like I could pick up a cello and attain a certain amount of mastery within nine or ten years. I feel like my ear, my phrasing, and my musical training would transfer.

laughingwolf said...

season's blessings to you and yours, and yes, more than one genre is possible

thx for the great link :D

Last Day of NANOWRIMO --- Oh No!

 Where did the month go?  Certainly not on the page. I have an outline, some character sketches but mostly I have a lot of research notes.  ...