Saturday, January 03, 2009

A man is not a success because...

"A man is not a success because he has never failed, but because failure has never stopped him."
I don't know who said that but they are wise words for anyone. Especially writers.
I'm one of those who can't stop writing. Even when I wasn't pursuing publication I would just write for the sheer joy of writing.
Stuff pops into my head and I HAVE TO get it down. I would be nicer if I could make money on it, but I still can't stop.
Success came to Edison after he failed many times. When asked about it he said he didn't fail, he just had 99+ versions of the light bulb that didn't work.
I have many that "didn't work" in drawers, boxes under the bed and in the attic but I'm still writing and pursuing publication.
What about you? Do you have manuscripts you stowed in boxes never to be seen again and how do you feel about them?
Or are did you write one book and working at perfecting it?

4 comments:

laughingwolf said...

i have three wips; and one completed screenplay, plus five other scripts i rewrote cuz they totally sucked when asked to edit them, so he said to go ahead with the rewrites....

i write when rl does not intrude, but have some animation programs to teach myself, too....

Spy Scribbler said...

I go for quantity. I do fix, somewhat, but each book can only teach me so much. Each book is a different learning journey for me.

lainey bancroft said...

Ah, the pure joy of writing without publication in mind. I remember it...I think. Now mostly I'm mired in the pleasure/pain of pursuing publication.

And yes, I have the 'babes under the bed'. They're ugly enough that only a mother will ever love 'em!

Caridad Pineiro said...

I have a bunch of WIPs that are just waiting around for the right moment. Some were rejected in the past and others I just felt needed to wait a little longer. It's hard to fail, but of you don't try, you can't ever win.

Good luck with the WIPs. I know you'll get the call!

Last Day of NANOWRIMO --- Oh No!

 Where did the month go?  Certainly not on the page. I have an outline, some character sketches but mostly I have a lot of research notes.  ...