Friday, June 19, 2009
Finding an Agent
Ok, the Wip is whipped and turned over to wonderful person who catches all my crap to give a last look. I've got another Wip in the works but right now i don't feel like working on it. I think I need a brief respite from living in that other world.
So I've been agent surfing.
I visit quite a few agent blogs and thought I had a "Dream Agent" list in my head but now as I start to reread their wants and guidelines I'm beginning to waver.
This particular Wip is a little different from what I've written in the past. It's a paranormal romance involving angels. Very hard to find that on an agent's wish list so I'm looking for those who handle both paranormal and romance. I've got a list of six so far. I want to query seven at a time because that's my lucky number. The number three has also been lucky so maybe I'll do seven agents and three pub houses?
(I'm thinking Wild Rose Press might bite on this one)
Now I've come to the point where I'm building my dream agent in my head and here's what I've come up with:
1. Must represent paranormal romance but also thrillers.
2. Must be on east coast, preferably NYC area. (so we can meet one day!)
3. Must have experience. Some kind of decent track record.
4. I think I'd work better with a woman. I think they'd understand romance books better. Are there any men agents who sell a lot of romance. They also have a better chance of understanding my sometimes weird sense of humor.
5. Must at least slip me an email every now and then letting me know whats going on. I don't need love notes but a quicky will do.
6. Can tell me up front of how they will sell my book. I'm a newbie, I need details!
I think that's it so far...any other suggestions?
If you're agented, how did you find them and are they your dream agent?